After extensive restoration work, the Technical University of Munich established its Science & Study Center in the prelate's wing of the former Cistercian monastery Raitenhaslach.
The new location in Raitenhaslach links TUM to the roots of academia – after all, natural sciences in Bavaria emerged from the monastery communities in the 18th century. Far away from everyday university life, Raitenhaslach now fosters intellectual recreation and creative, academic interaction.
After the secularization in 1803, the prelate's wing of the monastery was in private ownership for 200 years and was only partially used. The City of Burghausen acquired the building in 2003 and in 2013 signed an agreement with TUM to allow the building to be used as a study and seminar center.
In the period before the agreement was concluded, five TUM architecture chairs researched the building history and structure of the prelate's wing over several years and produced a usage concept. The building was then restored and refurbished from 2013 onwards based on this concept. As part of this plan, the original building substance was left largely intact and modern building technology integrated as inconspicuously as possible.
The restoration work was financed by the State of Bavaria and the City of Burghausen in addition to contributions by the German government, the Messerschmitt Foundation and the Bayerische Landesstiftung. TUM is able to use the property free of charge for an initial period of 25 years, organizing operations and supporting events using a specially established fund.